Volunteers Make the Difference
By sharing your time, talent and energy you can make a difference in the lives of the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House or benefiting from our programs.
Volunteering as a group is great way for businesses and community organizations to get involved. You can donate your time regularly or on a project by project basis. You let us know what works best for you. Please note that all volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. If under the age of 18, the volunteer must be accompanied by an adult. Anyone volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House is required to sign the following release form.
Come to the Ronald McDonald House to cook a meal for our families and help ease their burden of having to be in the kitchen instead of their child’s bedside. This is a great opportunity for a group (up to a maximum of 12 people) to cook breakfast, lunch or dinner. Find out more about the meal program.
Family Social Hour
Bring snacks or desserts and plan activities for the families to do together. These events help alleviate stress, give families the opportunity to spend time together and can stimulate positive, hopeful feelings. (2-6 volunteers. Maximum of 10)
- RMHCinema: Bring a G, PG or PG-13 movie and a supply of snacks and drinks. For extra fun, our House has a popcorn machine! Bringing kernels instead of microwave bags will make more to be shared.
- Bake & Decorate: Bake and decorate cake, cookies or brownies for our families. Children in the House may want to participate.For an accessible version of this PDF, please contact 412-246-1104. Food Preparation Guidelines
- Pamper Party: Host a party with hand massages, nail painting and foot soaks. Professionals can provide families with haircuts, chair massages or manicures. Families truly love these events.
- Craft Activity: Bring your creativity to the House and make a craft with our families.
- Performance: If you are into entertainment, you can put on a show during dinner! Music Concert, Magic Show, Dance Party, etc.
- Wellness Activity: Rejuvenate our families with a wellness activity! (Certifications Needed) Certified Therapy Dogs, dancing, yoga etc.
- RMHC Door Decor: Bring smiles to our families’ faces by decorating the doors of one of our residence floors. For an accessible version of this PDF, please contact 412-246-1104. *Please note that the Winter decorating schedule is filled. Please call in March to schedule Spring decorating.
*Please note that family attendance can not be predicted for the family social hours and will vary based on their medical needs.
Support our fundraisers, the Big MAC Open, Red Shoe Ball and Highmark Walk. Registration assistants, hole spotters, help with set-up and clean-up are all needed to make sure the event runs smoothly.
This is a great project for groups that include youth volunteers under age 14. Decorating the bags before filling them is also a fun group project for children who are interested in volunteering. You can prepare for approximately 12-30+ individuals. Assemble welcome bags off site and choose the contents for our families. Bags can be either disposable or reusable. All contents must be individually wrapped, unexpired and factory sealed/prepackaged.
- Breakfast/Snack: Fresh fruit, snacks, cereal bars, juice boxes and individual cereal boxes.
- Busy: Books, crayons, coloring books, small games and puzzles.
- Welcome: Current season’s decorations or cards for their room, notebooks/pens, magazines and fun straws/spoons for kids. Small throw blankets and stuffed animals.
- Craft Kits: Put together approximately 12+ craft kits. Parents can take these kits to their children to put together during their free time.
Help keep our pantries full by collecting wish list items for our families. You can host wish list drives (view our wish list here) or can also purchase through our online Amazon Wish List for an easy way to ensure we receive exactly what we need. Please be sure to include your contact information so we can acknowledge your donation.
Host Your Own Event
Hosting your own fundraiser is a wonderful way to support the mission of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Pittsburgh.