Eligibility and Admission Process
- A referral must be obtained from a clinical professional validating the child is in treatment. The referral form to be completed will be given at the time of registration to the Ronald McDonald House.
- An eligible family is placed on a wait list. This does not guarantee an apartment. The availability depends on the discharge of families currently residing at the Ronald McDonald House.
- Confirmation is made only on the date of arrival.
- If an apartment is not available on the requested date, families will remain on the wait list until an apartment is open.
- Once a referral is confirmed, families may check in after 2 PM on the Penthouse Floor of the Ronald McDonald House.
Requirements to Stay
- A family whose child is newborn to 21 years of age.
- The child must be an active patient receiving medical treatment at Pittsburgh medical centers.
- All families must have a permanent residence and live 40 miles or more from the Ronald McDonald House.
- Anyone over the age of 18 must have valid ID.
Who May Stay
- Any family member or guardian who provides care and support for the child.
Fees for Stay
- Guests are asked to make a $15 contribution per night but no family is turned away regardless of their ability to pay.
- Financial aid is reviewed by management on an individual basis.
Request a Room
To request a one-bedroom suite, a family member or guardian must contact the Ronald McDonald House via phone call or online form to be placed on the wait list. Please call 412-362-3400 or click here to begin the online registration process.
A representative of Ronald McDonald House Charities will contact you with room availability.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the care of the patient, rooms cannot be guaranteed in advance. A family’s length of stay is often uncertain; instead, a family’s name is placed on a wait list for their day of arrival. Rooms are assigned daily as they become available.
Ronald McDonald House opens its doors to up to 60 families each day, which requires a tremendous effort from our staff, volunteers, other families, and very generous community donors. To provide for the health and safety of everyone involved, we ask all families to observe the House Rules and Infectious Disease Policy. The Ronald McDonald House reserves the right to ask any family to check out at any time should it be considered necessary to preserve the well-being or health and safety of the other families in the House.
Infectious Disease Policy [PDF]
House Policies & Guest Information [PDF]